Dr. K. Puttaswamaiah has authored about 75 books – all published and received well. An attempt is made to list out the more important ones below. Later, these books are also presented with brief details and opinions on them. All the books have been accepted by the Union Ministry of Education,
Government of India, which has a Committee to screen new books and to determine whether they are University level books. The Union Ministry of Education publishes the list of such books annually in its catalogue of books titled “National Catalogue of Books”. Dr. Puttaswamaiah’s books are all recommended as University level books and included in the annual catalogues of the Government of India.
1) CONTRIBUTIONS TO KARNATAKA STATE GAZATTEERS (1958-1964)
During his tenure as ‘EDITOR’, Karnataka Gazetteers, he prepared about fifteen chapters for twelve district Gazetteers running to about 350 to 400 pages for each district volume.Contributed all chapters of economic importance to the following 12 districtGazetteers. He has worked as Editor, State Gazetteers, from 1958 to 1964.
These have been published by Government of Karnataka and these relate to thedistricts of :-
a) Coorg b) Mandya c) Gulbarga d) Chitradurga e) Kolar f) Bijapur g)Tumkur g) Raichur i) Hassan j) Bellary k) South Kanara and l) Shimoga.For each one of the above volumes, chapters like ‘Industrial Development’, ‘Trade and Commerce’, ‘Communications & Transport’, ‘Occupation and Employment’, ‘Economic Trends’ etc., have been contributed.Each chapter involved collection of data in the concerned district and discussions with district officers and other prominent people in the district.
Surveys on sampling basis have had to be conducted also. This was an enormous work done to complete twelve district volumes (1958 to 1964). The entire above work was research-oriented. Worked as Member of the State Level Gazatteers’ Advisory Committee for seven years from 1991, later recently worked for two years on the same Advisory Committee for revision of Kolar District Gazatteer.
2. CONTRIBUTION TO THE GENERAL REPORT OF THE CENSUS
OF THE KARNATAKA STATE, 1961.
Preparation of the Census General Reports :- While the 1961 census was conducted in Karnataka by the Government of India and the Tabulated Data published, The General Report of the Census of 1961 had not been prepared till 1964. Dr. K. Puttaswamaiah was then working as “Technical Head” of the Planning Department at the Government level. He was requested in 1964 to prepare the ‘General Report’, with two colleagues who were also given some
chapters. But, the main task fell on him. The Government of India had sent a tentative outline and the census results have had to be presented in the report. This Report was divided into two volumes as below :-
VOLUME I – Consists of chapters relating to the analysis of population,literacy, sex ratio, household survey results on the economic situation and so on. Chapter which had accent on economy of the state as reflected by the house
–hold census conducted has been presented in various chapters.
VOLUME II – Is entirely related to the population classified as “workers and non workers” (employed and unemployed). This volume has analysed indepth the population from Macro to Micro level of the Karnataka State. The
population - workers and non-workers with various ramifications has been presented in this volume, as also the employment situation in the State with all
possible permutations and combinations. The entire volume is published in about one thousand pages and has been Dr.K.Puttaswamaiah’s total contribution. This work has completed in 1966 and published in 1968.
3 PRINCIPLES OF EVALUATION – A MANUAL, Published by the Government of Karnataka. 1969
4 INDICATORS OF DEVELOPMENT – WITH REFERENCE TO MYSORE’S ECONOMY (INDIA), Published by Government ofKarnataka, (Silver Jubilee Independence Day) 1972
5 EVALUATION – CONCEPTS, METHODS AND UTILITY, (In English), Published by Government of Karnataka. 1972
6 MOULYA NIRNAYA, ADARA KALPANE, VIDHANAGALU MATTHU UPAYUKTATHE (in Kannada), Evaluation, Concept, Methods and Utility, Published by Government of Karnataka. 1972
7 ASPECTS OF PLANNING, A Southern Economist Publication. First Edition
8 EVALUATION OF PLAN PROGRAMMES IN KARANTAKA, published by Government of Karnataka. 1976
9 IRRIGATION PROJECTS IN INDIA- TOWARDS A NEW POLICY, Published by Nrusimha Publications, Bangalore, India 1977
10 ASPECTS OF PLANNING, enlarged II Revised Edition, OXFORD & IBH Published co., New Delhi. 1977
11 NOBEL ECONOMISTS, Nrusimha Publications, Bangalore, India First Published in 1977 1977
12. UNEMPLOYMENT IN INDIA : POLICY FOR MANPOWER,
oxford IBH Publishing Co., New Delhi. 1977
13. DROUGHT PRONE AREAS IN INDIA, Published by Government of Karnataka. 1978
14. ASPECTS OF EVALUATION AND PROJECT APPRAISAL, Published by Popular Prakashan, Bombay. 1978
15. MOULYA MATTU BANDAVALA, in Kannada, Translation of J.R. Hicks’s “Value and Capital” Published by The Institute of Kannada studies, University of Mysore. 1978
16. ARANE PANCAVARSHIKA YOJANEYALLI MOULY MAPANADA PATRA – in Kannada, (Role of Evaluation in the Sixth Plan), Nrusimha Publications, Bangalore India, 1972, Revised and Enlarged in 1978. 1978
17. FUNDAMENTALS OF APPLIED EVALUATION. Oxford & IBH Publishing Co., New Delhi. 1979
18 PROJECT EVALUATION CRITERIA AND COST –BENEFIT
ANALYSIS, (Edited), Oxford & IBH Publishing Co., New Delhi. 1980
19. ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OF KARNATAKA : A TREATISE
IN CONTINUITY AND CHANGE, Published in a set of Two
Volumes, Oxford & IBH Publishing Co., New Delhi. 1980
20. MICRO-PLAN FOR FULL EMPLOYMENT, Oxford & IBH
Publishing Co., New Delhi. 1981
21. STUDIES IN EVALUATION, Oxford & IBH Publishing Co., New Delhi.
22. BHARATHADALLI NIRUDYOGA, in Kannada (Unemployed in India), Published by The Institute of Kannada Studies, University of Mysore. 1983
23. COST–BENEFIT ANALYSIS - A THEORETICAL AND APPLIED 1988 CITIQUE OF ALTERNATE METHODOLOGIES; ( with S, Venu), Oxford & IBH Publishing co., New Delhi , First Published in 1984, Second Printing In 1988.
24. COST –BENEFIT ANALYSIS OF IRRIGATION AND DROUGHT PROOFING., Oxford & IBH Publishing Co., New Delhi. 1989
25. PROJECT EVALUATION CRITERIA AND COST –BENEFIT ANALYSIS (Edited ), Oxford & IBH Publishing Co., New Delhi, Second Revised and enlarged edition. 1989
26. POVERTY AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT - PLANNERS, PEASANTS AND POVERTY, ‘Foreword’ by Michael Liption, First Published by oxford & IBH publishing Co., New Delhi. Again by Intermediate Technology Publications, U.K.,
27. APPROACH TO EIGHT FIVE YEAR PLAN, Published in 1990. 1990
28. IRRIGATION PROJECTS IN INDIA – TOWARDS A NEW POLICY, Indus Publishing Co., New Delhi. 1994
29. ECONOMIC POLICY AND TAX REFORM IN INDIA (Edited), ‘Foreword’ by M.S.Swaminathan, Indus Publishing Co., New Delhi. 1994
30. ECONOMETRIC - MODELS – TECHNIQUES AND APPLICATIONS, ‘Foreword’ by Jan Tinbergen, Indus Publishing Co., New Delhi. 1994
31. NOBEL ECONOMISTS – LIVES AND CONTRIBUTIONS ‘Foreword’ by Jan Tinbergen, Published in a set of three volumes, Indus Publishing Co, New Delhi.1995
32. CUSTOMER SERVICE IN CANARA BANK- INDICATORS FOR MESURMENT A Study, Published by Canara Bank. 1996
33. TINBERGEN AND MODERN ECONOMICS –THE NOBLE ECONOMIST SAINT (Edited), Indus publishing co., New Delhi.1996
34. JOHN HICKS – HIS CONTRIBUTIONS TO ECONOMIC THEORY AND APPLICATION (Edited), ‘Foreword’ by Paul A. Samuelson. The Nobel Laureate in Economics, Transaction Publishers, Rutgers University , New Jersy, U.S.A.
35. THE ROLE OF RISK, UNCERTANITY AND IGNORANCE IN SCHUMPETER’S THEORY OF THE BUSINESS CYCLE, Schumpeter Lecture, Introduction by V. Orati, text of Lecture delivered in the International Institute of Advanced Economic and 2002 Social Studies, Published by IIAESS, Viterbo, Italy.
36. COST – BENEFIT ANALYSIS – ENVIRONMENTAL AND ECOLOGICAL PERSPECTIVES (Edited), Transaction Publishers,Rutgers University, New Jersy, U.S.A. 2002
37. PAUL SAMUELSON AND THE FOUNDATIONS OF MODERN ECONOMICS (Edited), Transaction Publishers, Rutgers University, New Jersy, U.S.A. 2002
38. THEORY AND PRACTICE OF MACRO AND MICRO ECONOMICS (Edited), In Honor of Prof. Paul A. Samuelson, The Nobel Laureate in Economics, Esquire Publications, Bangalore, India. 2003
39. WASSILY LEONTIEF AND INPUT –OUTPUT ANALYSIS –
THE NOBEL LAUREATE IN ECONOMICS (Edited), ‘ Foreword’ by Paul A. Samuelson, Published by International Journal for Applied Economics and Econometrics, Bangalore, India. 2006
40. FRANCO MODIGLIANI, PEERLESS TWENTIETH – CENTURY MACRO ECONOMIST – THE NOBEL LAUREATE IN ECONOMICS (Edited) ‘Foreword’ by Paul A. Samuelson, Published by International Journal of Applied Economics and Econometrics, Bangalore, India. 2006
Note : Dr. Puttaswamaiah has authored about sixty books. But forty books mentioned above are major ones. He has formulated many Projects for external assistance. Of these, twenty major ones are listed later. Further, he has also prepared 24 ( twenty four) Evaluation Studies, most of which relate to the most important Economic Sectors of Karnataka’s Economy. These reports are also
listed later. The projects for external assistance and the evaluation reports (all published) put together will thus be forty four. If these publications are added to the forty books listed above, the total number of publications, will, thus, be eighty eight, Considering the very major projects and the Evaluation studies as approximately twenty, the total number of publication, has been arrived as sixty which should be really eighty eight as all of them have been published and well-received.
Of the forty major books listed above, an attempt is made to provide details of some books, with opinions on them by reviewers and economists, after listing the forth-coming books.